As temperatures dip, some folks add portable space heaters to their cold weather arsenals. The only safe space heaters to use inside your home are electric. Today’s models are designed to be much safer than those of yesteryear and when used carefully, they can add supplemental heat in small-targeted areas,like a den without you having to crank up the thermostat.
With space heaters being careful and safety conscious is extremely important. Make sure you purchase a space heater with built in safety features such as a tip-over shut off switch and always look for a safety certification. To protect your family from possible fire or burns below are five rules for safe space heater operation.
1. Don’t leave your heater on in an unattended room and never keep your portable electric heater on while you are sleeping.
2. Keep a 3- foot perimeter around the unit clear. Never store clothing on or around the heater and don’t put it too close to curtains or bedding.Don’t ever cover the cord or put anything on top of it.
3. Be mindful of where you plug it in. Always plug your heater directly into an outlet. Don’t plug anything else into that outlet except your heater. Do not use extension cords or power strips.
4. Be aware of kids and pets. Either could knock over a space heater. Always unplug your heater when it’s not in use.
5. Inspect it regularly. When you take your heater out of storage for the season,make sure it is not damaged and the cord is in good condition. Check your heater when it is operating to make sure it is not hot to the touch. That is the sign of a problem with the unit.
Why Use A Space Heater When You Don’t Have Too!
As I mentioned above, a space heater can add some extra coziness to a small space during really cold times but if you have rooms that are difficult to heat or aren’t as comfortable as others, give Horne Heating and Air Conditioning a call at (704) 321- 4173 or visit: www.hornehvac.com. We can send out a professional to assess the situation and determine why your heating system is not doing the job it should be. An energy efficient option for increasing your comfort level in a particular area is a ductless mini split unit. These units do not require duct work and are incredibly efficient and cost effective at heating smaller areas